Sunday 16 August 2009

2000 Hartenberg; Shiraz (Stellenbosch, South Africa) approx.RM50, now more pricey!!
9 years old, my last of over a dozen bottles. Alas, the final bottle though I must say it was an incredible journey; experiencing this great wine over is useful life. Initially (2003-2005) robust and bursting with fruit whilst hinting a propensity to age. Then(2006/7) glorious in balance with delicious fruit and structure, assailing me with pleasure way above the price paid. Finally(2008/9) a mellow wine, weary, with subdued fruit, but a testimony to better times (nice words for "somewhat over the hill"). Still lovely texture with soft tannins. Some fine sediment at bottom. Truly a great find at that price.

2000 Slaley; Hunting Family Shiraz (Stellenbosch, South Africa) approx. R125 (RM60 -7 years ago)
Rewind approx. 7 years to a tasting at the Slaley cellar and a dark brooding wine, recalcitrant in nature and refusing to reveal its entirety. Like someone you meet and know has so much to offer but doesnt have the time to share. You buy, knowing its not the right time. So you wait, and wait till this person opens up and gives to you. The 3 previos bottles I opened of the 6 bottles I owned have been shy, making me wonder if this was money spent wisely. Finally this, the 4th bottle, has bared its soul to me. Dense, complex, long, layered; it slowly wound itself over my senses, rewarding the long and often questioned investment. Its sediment crusted on the bottom of the well stored bottle. A dear bottle shared with the dearest of persons, my father. Joy beyond compare!!

No comments:

Post a Comment